Design Tips - Answers from a Book Cover Designer
Last Thursday I shared some questions to ask when looking for a cover design.
Today I will share my answers to the questions I suggested.
1. How long have you been doing design? I have been a professional designer for about 18 years. I started doing book cover design in 2010. I have a design background in graphic arts, print design, photo restoration, portrait retouching, as well as, photo manipulation and collage. I have a degree in Electronic Publishing.
2. Are you taking new clients? Absolutely!
3. What are your fees? All of my current pricing can be found here on my website.
4. Are you full or part time? How long does design take? I am a full time designer and business owner. We work Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM EST. Design service time is 5-7 business days once the sample design is finalized. Usually cover design takes 2-3 weeks from concept to completion.
5. Do you offer print and ebook design? Sure. I can start with ebook or print. I can also create print designs at a later date from the ebook cover. Please let me know if you plan on print design so I can design the ebook accordingly.
6. Who owns the copyright of the design and any artwork or stock used to create it? I have my clients purchase all of the artwork for their designs. This being the case all rights are owned by my clients upon project completion and are only subject to the terms of their stock licensing. I do not charge royalties.
7. Can I get a design that will translate into a series and have coordinating designs? Yes! I can do the series book by book or several covers at once. Just let me know that we are designing a series and we can make sure to find stock that will work for the current and future books.
8. Do you have a website or portfolio I can look at? Just see the link above on this site and each of my services pages for examples of my designs.
10. Are you a reader? What do you read? I am a reader and spent two years book blogging. I read paranormal romance, urban fantasy, horror, romantic suspense, and dark erotica . You will also find science fiction, epic fantasy, contemporary and historical romance on my book shelves.
11. Would you like to read a portion of the story? Unfortunately, no. With a full time business my reading is a leisure I only partake in after hours. All I need is a brief summery of the story and information pertinent to the cover design to begin. That being said, I have been known to read print books I have designed for after the cover is finished and I can hold the copy in my hands.
12. What genres do you design? I have designed for many different genres and audiences. Through my business I offer general graphic design and design for print. This gives me experience with many different styles and artwork. My favorite covers to design are fiction books. Specifically those in the romance genre. The more fantasy based the better. I love challenging my imagination.
13. If I need website graphics or bookmarks can you help with the design? I can certainly help with design or design and print when desired. Just let me know what you are looking for!
If you have any questions you would like to ask me, please do not hesitate to do so.
Questions can be emailed to email@example.com.